Leading the Way in the Beverage Industry
At United Brands, innovation is more than just a buzzword; it’s a way of life. Since our inception, we have an unmatched track record of developing new and innovative products that don’t just move the needle a little bit; they change the whole industry.
United Brands was one of the first companies to introduce energy drinks into the U.S. Based on our demographic and psychographic research of young adults and their evolving expectations regarding beverage options, we were also one of the first to package energy drinks in 16-oz. cans, helping to promote the growth of that energy drink segment.
We also helped stimulate the domestic production of energy drinks by introducing American beverage manufacturers and flavor development houses to the specialized technology required to make these drinks. Producing energy drinks domestically rather than importing them played a key role in the rapid growth of this market segment in the U.S.
Other United Brands innovations include:
- Partnering with the NBA to produce and market an energy drink called Diesel Energy, in conjunction with NBA superstar Shaquille O’Neal.
- First to brew apple beer (not hard cider).
- First to offer flavored malt beverages in 8-oz and 24-oz cans. We also led the way in transitioning the category from 90% glass to aluminum cans, helping to reduce production costs while meeting the changing tastes of consumers.
- First to introduce multiple malt beverage flavors such as tropical fruit, cranberry, green apple, mango, and passionfruit.
- First to introduce colorful packaging and designs in the beer industry.
Why We Innovate
At United Brands, we believe innovation is creating something new, not duplication of what someone else has already done. We don’t just change the name and packaging of someone else’s product and call it innovation. We create things that haven’t been done before.
We embrace innovation as a core value for two reasons:
- Success in the beverage industry requires understanding not just where the market is today, but where it will be in 5, 10 or even 20 years. We invest significant resources in conducting our own demographic and psychographic research, and then develop new products based on what the next generation of consumers will want.
- The beer industry is a mature market. Normally, increasing market share requires taking it from someone else – a difficult and expensive process. We prefer to increase the size of the market as a whole by developing new products and market segments that increase overall beverage consumption. In doing so, we use our resources more efficiently, achieve better market share, and contribute to the growth of the industry as a whole.
Often Imitated, Never Duplicated
United Brands established the category for 24-oz flavored malt beverages with the introduction of JOOSE™ Flavored Malt Beverage in 2006. Since then, many producers have been trying to duplicate our success.
JOOSE™ Premium Malt Beverage was the first of its kind to come in large 24-oz cans with 9.9% alcohol by volume. Using new clear malt technology and all natural flavors to replicate a true mixed drink experience, JOOSE™ offered consumers what our demographic research told us they were looking for – a lively alternative to traditional beer.
Thanks to the vision and creativity of United Brands, JOOSE catapulted the progressive adult beverage category into national prominence. Since then, we have continued to evolve its portfolio by introducing new and distinctive flavors that capture the attention and meet the taste requirements of today’s young adults.